Our Approach to Wisdom Teeth Removal
Our doctors take the time to get to know our Somerset and Hunterdon County patients while helping them achieve optimal oral health and preventing future problems. This personal attention helps make wisdom teeth removal procedures as comfortable as possible.
The doctors in our practice can extract wisdom teeth for patients of all ages. However, we have found that the ideal timeframe for this procedure is in the late teenage years. This is because the wisdom teeth have not yet fully rooted, making for a less complicated surgery and a more comfortable and quicker recovery for our patients. Wisdom teeth removal at an early age also helps prevent dental problems from occurring in later years.
However, many patients in the Somerset County and Hunterdon County areas come to us later in life. They may visit us directly or be referred by their general dentist when they begin experiencing symptoms such as pain, discomfort, and swelling. Our doctors are highly trained and knowledgeable oral surgeons who are skilled at extraction procedures, and we make treatment as positive and supportive as we can for all of our patients.
Wisdom Teeth Removal With Our Practice
Your first step is an initial consultation at one of our offices in Somerset County or Hunterdon County. During your visit, we will:
- Review your X-ray, or, if you don’t already have one, take a new panoramic X-ray. This will give your doctor better insight into your needs.
- Discuss your medical history and any medications you are taking. This will help in assessing your overall health.
- Talk about your anesthesia options to develop a plan for pain management.
- Share with you an informative video to ensure you understand the wisdom teeth removal process.
- Answer questions you may have about insurance and costs so you will be financially prepared for your care.
After we develop an approach for your procedure, you will then be ready to schedule an appointment for the surgery.
Wisdom teeth removal takes place in one of our offices in Somerset County or Hunterdon County. Somerset Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Group staff will review your procedure and answer any questions you may have. The entire extraction process will take approximately 30-60 minutes.
As your safety, comfort, and successful outcome are our top priorities, a full oral surgery team will be with you during the wisdom teeth removal procedure and will be closely monitoring you. Our specialists are certified by the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology and can provide several levels of anesthesia:
- To numb you before the procedure, your doctor will give you a local anesthetic.
- The doctor will then provide you with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to relax you further.
- Based on your pain management plan, you may receive general anesthesia through an IV to reduce your awareness and make you completely comfortable during your treatment.
What to Expect After Wisdom Teeth Removal
Following the procedure, you will be escorted to a recovery room, which will afford you greater privacy as you awaken from your treatment. Your doctor and our staff will continue to monitor your safety and comfort.
Once you are fully awake from anesthesia, we will go over your post-operative care instructions. At the time of your discharge, you will need an adult to drive you home since you may still feel some effects from your treatment. As wisdom teeth removal is a surgical procedure, post-operative care is imperative to ensure a smooth recovery:
- We will provide you with gauze pads for your mouth for when you get home.
- Wisdom teeth removal is well tolerated, particularly among younger patients. Most only require non-narcotic pain medicine for aftercare.
- You can expect swelling for 4-5 days. We recommend that you apply an ice pack to your face to reduce these effects.
- You should avoid rigorous activities on the day of surgery.
Post-operative care extends to the support that Somerset Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Group provides. Our doctors will continue to be available and accessible to you in Somerset County and Hunterdon County once your procedure is complete. If you have any concerns during your recovery, we encourage you to get in touch with us.
To make sure you are healing properly following surgery, your doctor will schedule a post-operative appointment with you one week after wisdom teeth removal. This brief visit typically confirms that patients are recuperating nicely and allows them the chance to ask any questions they may have.
Wisdom teeth extraction is a very common and predictable surgery that our practice conducts daily in-office. After you have fully healed from the procedure, your permanent teeth should have enough room to develop normally — creating a lifetime of smiles.
If you are experiencing pain, notice problems with the teeth at the back of your jaw, or are approaching your late teens, contact our offices in Somerset County or Hunterdon County for a consultation about wisdom teeth removal.
Schedule Your Virtual Consultation By Clicking Here