If many or all of your teeth are lost or damaged, you may be a good candidate for treatment with All-on-4®. The procedure provides a full set of new, durable teeth to replace non-functional dentition. Somerset and Hunterdon County patients can come to Somerset Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Group for care and, in most cases, leave with a completely restored smile by the next day.
What Is All-on-4®?
All-on-4® is a procedure in which your doctor strategically places 4-6 dental implants to support a full arch of upper and lower prosthetic teeth. Our practice performs the surgery to help patients enjoy aesthetically appealing and functional teeth in a short period of time.
Some of the benefits of All-on-4® are that it:
- Looks, acts, and feels like your own real teeth. One of the exciting benefits of treatment is that you can enjoy eating foods you may have given up for good.
- Presents a fast and cosmetically appealing solution. While there are multiple stages of treatment with All-on-4®, our Somerset and Hunterdon County patients are often impressed at the speed at which they go from having only a few teeth to having a complete smile.
- Can be conducted without extensive bone grafting. Even if your jaw has lost bone in certain areas, your doctor may be able to place full arch dental implants where you have greater strength.
- Provides a fixed and lasting solution to missing teeth. Unlike dentures, All-on-4® should feel natural, and you will not have to worry about slippage as you speak or chew.
- Offers an easy-to-care-for restoration. You can floss and brush your full arch dental implants in the same way that you would your originals, which makes them feel even more like they are your own dentition.
Our Approach to All-on-4®
All-on-4® is one of the most effective and efficient options for tooth restoration available. It is also one of the most complex, which is why patients choose our practice. Our doctors are specialists with extensive experience performing surgeries for Somerset County and Hunterdon County patients. As oral surgeons, we combine the requisite areas of training, such as bone grafting and dental implant placement, to provide predictable and durable outcomes.
Just as importantly, Somerset Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Group staff members are accessible and available to those in our care. Your doctor will take the time to get to know you, answer your questions, and provide guidance throughout your treatment. Our practice has been serving the community for nearly 50 years, and our longevity comes in part through the lasting relationships we have developed with our Somerset and Hunterdon County patients.
As part of treatment with All-on-4®, our doctors collaborate with restorative dentists. Working together with your dentist, we will create an individualized plan that fits your needs. Our goal will be to provide you with full arch dental implants that are beautiful and functional so you can eat, speak, and smile confidently.
All-on-4® With Our Practice
Every surgery at Somerset Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Group begins with a consultation at our Somerville, Lebanon, or Hillsborough office. Your first step for All-on-4® will be an initial appointment with our staff and your oral surgeon, who will:
- Share information about the All-on-4® procedure with you.
- Review your overall dental and medical history.
- Take a CT scan of your jawbone to assess its strength and condition.
- Discuss a plan for anesthesia to keep you comfortable and relaxed during the All-on-4® procedure.
- Provide financial and insurance-related information.
Once you decide to move forward, we will help you schedule your treatment. The first phase of All-on-4® will consist of two visits to our practice: one appointment for placing the dental implants and a second visit to connect your temporary teeth to the implants. Most patients have these appointments two days in a row.
On the morning of your All-on-4® surgery, our staff will review your procedure and answer any questions you may have. We will also take impressions of your mouth, which will be sent to a professional dental lab to begin producing your temporary teeth.
Before your procedure, your doctor will administer anesthesia based on your individual treatment plan. Each of our specialists is certified and offers patients decades of experience. Next, your doctor will:
- Extract decayed and damaged teeth.
- Place 4-6 dental implants into your jawbone.
- Secure temporary caps over the implants.
After your surgery, you will return to our Somerset or Hunterdon County offices to have the temporary prosthetic fit to the implants. You can expect to leave your appointment with a complete set of natural-looking teeth. In rare cases, the implants will need to heal before the prosthesis can be attached, and you may have to wear a denture during the healing time.
What to Expect After All-on-4®
The temporary teeth are a cosmetic replacement but will not have the strength and function as your original teeth, so you can’t put too much force on them. It will take about 4-6 months for your implants to integrate fully with the jawbone. During this time:
- You should follow a soft diet for 4-6 weeks and drink plenty of fluids. We will gradually advance your diet from there.
- Give your body time to rest in the day or two after your procedure. Typically, our Somerset and Hunterdon County patients can get back to normal activities after 48 hours.
- Take over-the-counter pain medication as advised by your doctor to manage moderate discomfort. Also, take any antibiotics prescribed by your doctor to protect against infection.
After 4-6 months, your implants should be strong enough for the second stage of the All-on-4® treatment. You will visit your restorative dentist, who will work with you to replace the temporary prosthesis with a permanent set of new teeth. By the end of the process, you should be able to enjoy a complete smile with teeth that look, act, and feel like your own.
Somerset Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Group will be available to you at every stage of your care. Whether you have questions about All-on-4®, want to know more about its advantages, or are curious whether you are a good candidate for treatment, we invite you to get in touch with our practice.
If most or all of your teeth are missing or damaged, or if you want a more comfortable and effective solution than dentures offer, contact Somerset Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Group to schedule an All-on-4® consultation at their office in the Somerset and Hunterdon County area.